Registered tangible cultural properties
The most of existing Koryuji building was built by carpenters in Kashiwazaki, Echigo Province (now Niigata Prefecture), in the late 19th century to early 20th century, when Kitamaebune shipping was popular as a transportation method.
In February 2012, ten buildings in the precincts of Koryuji Temple, such as the main hall, Kaisando, the temple gate, fire protection fences, Konpira-do, the purification trough, bell tower, the treasure house , the mortuary hall, and earthen walls, were designated as registered tangible cultural properties.
Built in 1900. 25m(82ft.) wide, it is entirely made of Japanese zelkova wood.The triad of Shakyamuni sitting statues( the principal image of Koryuji) are enshrined here.
The oldest building in the current cathedral, built in 1899. It enshrines the founder and successive chief priests, 33 Kannon, and 500 Arhats. It is commonly known as "Rakando(Arhats hall)".
Built in 1922 . It was donated by a reverent supporter. The Bell was offered in World War II, but was recast in 1954 and still echoes the sound of the bell at 6 am and 9 pm.
Fire protection fence
Hakodate has had many large fires, and Koryuji also built a fire-prevention fence by stacking bricks 1910. Bricks are piled up in different ways, with the right side of the temple gate being piled up by Flemish bond and the left side of the gate being piled up by English bond.
Built in 1911 . The wooden tablet is written by Eiheiji 64th, Goyu Morita. It is said to have 207 carvings.
Kompira-do(Guardians' hall) / Purification trough
Rebuilt in 1915. It is called the three guardians' hall, because it enshrines Kompira-son, Hirotomi-son, and Ryuo-sonten. They are worshiped as a deity of voyage safety and salvage.
Built in 1915. It was donated by Mr. Teppei Soma, a wealthy merchant in Hakodate. It was completely renovated in 2017 and regained its original appearance.
Built in 1933. The remains and mortuary tablets of the believers' ancestors are enshrined.
Even now, the memorial services for for our believers' ancestors are held every day.
(No photo inside)
The monument of "Shosin-Zanmoku"
At the time of the Boshin War, Koryuji was used as a branch of the Hakodate Hospital .
However, an incident occurred in which a soldier broke into Koryuji Temple and wounded men of Aizu clan who were undergoing medical treatment were murdered.
After this incident, as a memorial service for the victims, this monument was built by the related people in 1880. The text is taken from the Chinese poet Li Hua's Chinese poem "Sentences of the Ancient Battlefield", and Calligraphy is taken from the by Yue Fei岳飛's handwriting, who was a loyal retainer of the Song Dynasty in China.
In May, a memorial service is held in front of the monument every year.