Soto Zen Buddhism

-Our Denomination-

Koryuji belongs to the "Sotoshu"(Soto-Zen Buddhism, Soto Zen School),  which transmits the true (Buddhist) Dharma from Shakyamuni Buddha through the Ancestors.About 800 years ago, in the Kamakura period, It has been transmitted from China to Japan by the Rev. Dogen, the first Japanese ancestor, whom we call"Koso Joyo Daishi" or " Dogen Zenji".

 The fourth Japanese ancestor of the school was the Rev. Keizan(we call him "Taiso Josai Daishi" or "Keizan Zenji"), who was instrumental in enhancing the teachings and expanding the school.

So we primarily honor Shakyamuni Buddha, and honor Koso Joyo Daishi (Dogen Zenji) and Taiso Josai Daishi (Keizan Zenji) as its Two Founders.

_DSC0099.jpg

We have two head temples. The one is Eiheiji in Fukui Prefecture,  and the other is Sojiji, located in Kanagawa Prefecture.

20200820_151818_copy_480x1489.jpg

Eheiji is founded by Dogen. In 1243, he, at the age of 43, accepting an invitation from his lay disciple, Yoshishige Hatano, moved to Echizen Province (now Fukui Prefecture). In the following year, he founded Daibutsuji monastery. Two years later, the name was changed to Eiheiji monastery. At Eiheiji, he devoted the rest of his life to transmitting the true Buddha Dharma and training disciples. 

In Eiheiji's "Shichido-Garan",which literally means "seven-hall temple" or "a group of seven buildings that are supposed to form the heart of an ideal Buddhist temple", about 150 practitioner monks are still practicing wholeheartedly everyday, following the teachings of Dogen.​

In May 2019, 19 buildings of Eiheiji, which constitute of the "Shichido-Garan", have been designated as national important cultural properties.

20151119-560-16-2.jpg
keizan-l.jpg

Sojiji was founded by Keizan in Noto Province (now Ishikawa Prefecture).In 1321,he, at the age of 54,was offered Morookadera Temple by a priest Joken Risshi,and named it "Sojiji",

About 570 yeas later, on April 13th, 1898, a fire broke out suddenly from the main building of Sojiji. The fire spread over the temple and burnt down most of the property.

In May 1905, Ishikawa Sodō Zenji who was the then chief of Sojiji, decided to move the temple to Tsurumi being aware of the importance of structure restoration, existance as head monastery and modern missionary activities. Then in 1911, Sojiji relocated to the present place

topimg_1.jpg